Graduate Assistantship Literacy Education
Position Title: Graduate Assistant
Reports to: Dr. Sarah Vander Zanden, Director of the Literacy Education Reading Clinic
Terms of Employment:
- For the fall semester - August 22-December 16, 2016: 20 hours per week, beginning first week of the semester and ending the last day of final exam week. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
- For the spring semester - January 9-May 5, 2017: 20 hours per week, beginning first week of the semester and ending the last day of final exam week. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Full assistantship salary:
- MA - $5,044 per semester
- Doctoral - $7,560 per semester
- Salary will be prorated weekly for late start.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters.
- The Graduate Assistantship and Tuition Scholarships will be applied for and awarded separately. Receiving one will not ensure that the other will be awarded to the applicant.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures: http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships/
- Support and coordinate technology use on site (during tutoring)
- Logistics-EX: sign in sheets, checklists, snacks, communications about tutoring with school/families, organizational record keeping
- Help with students find culturally relevant instructional materials
- Supervise students when GA has appropriate expertise
- Support data collection of program outcomes and organize records
- Link theory to practice in conversation and when sharing instructional strategies
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in a UNI graduate program.
- Must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship.
- Maintain a Plan GPA of at least 3.00. First semester graduate students must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00.
- Preferred: Background experience in teaching.
Application Process and Deadline: To apply email the completed Application Form for Graduate Assistantship (available at http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships)
Applications received by March 31, 2015 will be given preferential consideration.