Express your interest
Please complete the online interest form to the right. We will use the information you provide to send you program updates, including important information about enrollment deadlines. The next cohort is scheduled to begin Fall 2013.
Apply for admission
We encourage you to apply for admission to graduate studies through the University of Northern Iowa as soon as possible. We will start a new cohort group in August 2013. Applicants who complete the application and writing exam by June 1, 2013, will be given first consideration. We will accept applications until the program is filled and are limited to the number of students that can be accepted. The next cohort start after August 2013 is tentatively planned for August 2014.
- Complete the online Application for Graduate Study.
- Please note that you are applying for admission in the category of Degree Status for Fall 2013.
- The major for which you are applying is School Library Studies (major code: 353).
- Entrance exams are not required.
- Please follow the Checklist for Graduate Admissions
- If you have received a degree from UNI, you do not have to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee.
- Criteria for admission include:
- 3.0 GPA in a completed degree program
- Completion of initial licensure for teaching in Iowa
- Successful performance on a writing test
If you meet the first two criteria and your application has been sent to the Registrar's Office, the Division of Library Studies will be in contact with you to make arrangements for the writing exam portion of the application. The exam will be administered using local proctors as arranged by the applicant. Please see the instructions for arranging proctors for more information.
Additional information about admissions from the UNI Division of Library Studies
What to expect
When your application for graduate study is complete, you will receive confirmation from UNI Admissions staff that they have received and forwarded your application and transcripts to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction for review. If you have not received this notice in a timely manner, it is your responsibility to contact the office of the Registrar at Registrar@uni.edu or 319-273-2241 to see what might be delaying the completion of our application.
The department will review your application materials and contact you about your admission status. Following admission to the program, you will be assigned to a cohort group and provided enrollment information for the fall courses.
Delivery of the program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.