All bias incidents reported to the Dean of Students or Public Safety will go through a preliminary investigation to determine the category of the offense. Any member of the university community can report a bias incident. You can report an incident in the following ways:
- In Person: Office of Vice President for Student Affairs, 118 Gilchrist Hall
- E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website - http://www.uni.edu/diversity/brt
- Fill out a bias-incident report form online or submit it to the
Dean of Students Office, 118 Gilchrist Hall
Public Safety Office, 30 Gilchrist Hall or
Office of Compliance and Equity Management, 117 Gilchrist Hall.
Confidentiality will be maintained in all reported cases to the extent possible.
If you are the victim of a crime please contact the UNI Public Safety Office (319-273-2712).
Anyone who has been a witness or victim of a bias incident should report the incident to the Dean of Students Office (319-273-2332) or the Office of Compliance and Equity Management (319-273-2846).
All public statements considering bias incidents at UNI will be coordinated by the BRT, President’s Office and the Office of University Marketing and Public Relations.
The Bias Response Team will as appropriate:
- Gather facts and discuss the situation to determine an appropriate action/response.
- Assist in notifying other administrative offices.
- Request an official response from the university and identify an appropriate office to generate the official response to the internal and external community.
- Identify students, groups or other members of the community who may be affected by the incident and need assistance, including roommates, friends, family, faculty, etc.
- Provide follow-up, support and identify resources if needed.
- Evaluate the impact of services and assistance provided.
Proactive educational programming and training will be identified, recommended and promoted by BRT. Examples of educational programs and training:
- Cultural enrichment programs sponsored by the Center for Multicultural Education
- Informative programs sponsored by the International Student Association and the Office of International Services
- Student Forums, Speakers and Academic Seminars