down arrowMenu

Basic Hall Information


Here is some information regarding living in one of our eight residence halls. For information about other housing options,  you can go to the Apartment/Suites page.

Your Room Assignment

Room and roommate assignments are made starting in May. If we receive your completed contract and pre-payment by May 1, you'll be notified of your assignment in June. The assignment letter will include your campus address and phone number, your roommate's information and move-in information.

Your Space

Each of our eight residence halls has between 4 and 13 communities which we call "houses." About 50 students live in each house, which can be an entire floor of a hall or portion of a floor. All have common bathrooms and hallways. Most also have lounges. Residents are active in intramural sports teams, house governments, house meetings, special activities and more.

The seven co-ed residence halls are Bender, Campbell, Dancer, Hagemann, Noehren, Rider and Shull. Lawther is our all-female hall. The co-ed halls have all-male and all-female houses, as well as co-ed houses in Noehren and Rider.

Room Details

The following items are provided in every room:

  • Single bed, mattress and mattress cover for each person (mattresses are 78" - 80" long)
  • Desk and chair for each person
  • Wastebasket & Recycling Bin
  • Closets and drawers
  • Drapes or mini-blinds
  • Cable TV access to more than 50 Channels
  • Internet access
  • All utilities
  • Room sink (except Rider, a few rooms in Campbell and one in Noehren)

*Lofts are provided in Campbell, Hagemann, Lawther, Panther Village, ROTH and Shull Halls

You can bring the following items:

  • Computer
  • Compact refrigerator
  • Microwave
  • TV
  • Stereo
  • Clock radio
  • Carpet (Bender, Dancer and ROTH are carpeted)
  • Materials to loft your bed (except Campbell, Hagemann, Lawther, Panther Village, ROTH and Shull, where loftable beds are provided)

Community Options

Do you want  to live in an environment with other students who share similar interests and commitments? Options available include:

(Academic) Living Learning Communities (LLC):

Business Learning Community (Rider Hall): The Princeton Review has recognized the College of Business Administration as a "Best Business School" for eight consecutive years. Students living in this learning community can expect to find a focus on skill development in the areas of management, business administration and entrepreneurship  in an environment that focuses on exploring various majors, careers, and opportunities in the business world.

Elementary / Early Childhood Education Learning Community (Lawther Hall): UNI's College of Education (COE) is known for having some of the most innovative teacher education programs in the country. Students in this learning community can expect to see a focus on educational topics related to elementary and early childhood education.

Music Learning Community (Noehren Hall): The music learning community’s philosophy is to promote an understanding of music as a universal language. The community will support students in their development of an appreciation of music in a culturally diverse world. Students living in this community will participate in activities to prepare them for productive lives as teachers, performers, composers, scholars, and citizens. 

Honors Learning Community (Campbell Hall):  The honors learning community strives to provide outstanding educational, social, and leadership opportunities outside of the classroom.  Acceptance into the honors college is required.

New! Biology Learning Community (Noehren Hall):  Our biology students are the next generation of scientists, researchers, health professionals, teachers and leaders. The Department of Biology has a unique program that offers students the opportunity to study a vast assortment of subjects: prairie plants and animals; ecology; biotechnology; the effects of herbicides and pesticides on human health; genetic diversity in various organisms; plant and animal morphology; animal and plant diseases; and aquatic toxicology. And these are but a sample! Students are mentored by award winning teaching faculty who are also nationally and internationally known for their scholarship.

(Non-Academic) Living Learning Communities:

Second Year Experience Community (Hagemann Hall): The goal of this learning community is to assist second year students as they transition into the next phase of their college experience while familiarizing students with leadership opportunities across campus. This community aims to address second year students’ needs as they make choices about academics, careers, and their personal lives.

Transfer Learning Community (Shull Hall):  The transfer student learning community provides an excellent opportunity for new transfer students to the University to live in a supportive environment,  learn from one another, and collaborate in their studies.

Wellness Learning Community (Bender Hall):  Students in this learning community will be exposed to the process of becoming aware of, taking responsibility for, and making choices that contribute to their personal well being and the well being of the community.

Substance Free Community (Bender, Dancer, Campbell and Rider Halls): Four halls include one or more Substance Free houses.  Members of the house agree that use of alcohol (at any age) will not be part of the house lifestyle.  UNI is a smoke-free campus.

Upperclass Learning Community (ROTH, Panther Village, and Shull Hall): Upperclass learning communities provide an opportunity for non-first year students to interact with other upperclass students, live in a supportive environment and collaborate in their studies.

Springboard Learning Community (Bender, Campbell, Dancer, Hagemann, Lawther, and Noehren Halls):  Springboard communities house only first year students. Springboard houses help enhance entering students’ transition to UNI while creating a peer reference group, academic experience, and enhancing students’ academic and social success. 

Room Options

Single Rooms

Single rooms may be available in all residence halls. Designed (physical) single rooms are available in Bender, Campbell, Dancer and Lawther Halls only. Designed single rooms are smaller than a double room and $825 more than a double room. There may also be a limited number of double rooms that may be contracted as super single rooms. These rooms are designated as Super Single Rooms and may be available in all residence halls. The current academic year cost for a super single room is $1200 more than a double room. Returning residents have priority for assignment in all single rooms. New residents must follow the guidelines for Disability and Special Health Needs to request consideration for a single room.

Traditional Rooms

A traditional room is a two-person (double) room in any of our residence halls without any of the features listed above.

Click here to view which halls offer each community option.

Get Involved

There's a lot more to do when you live on campus than just eat, sleep and study. When you live in a "house" community with about 50 other students, you have great opportunities to grow and get connected. The best way to enjoy your experience is to get involved with what's happening. Go to house meetings. Attend programs. Be on an intramural team or two. Become a hall officer. Just participate!

Hall Program Examples

Attending Panther athletic events - House picnics - Intramural sports - Eating right - Movie nights - Resume writing - Hay rides - Dating and relationships - House painting - Alcohol awareness - Community volunteering - Women's and men's issues - Sister/brother house events - Job interviewing - Olympics

Leadership Roles Abound

Eventually, you will be called upon to lead. That's what employers and community leaders expect of university graduates. So whether you have been a leader or need to get started, this is the place. Residence hall leadership experiences prepare you for important roles in other student organizations. They also help you develop a network of friends and acquaintances.


Make on-going contributions to the quality of on-campus living at UNI and you might earn a Panther Pride monthly award! You might also be recognized at the end of the year at the "Among the Stars" celebration of student contributions, where dozens of students and organizations are recognized. Awards include Newcomers of the Year, National Residence Hall Honorary Inductees and the Gold Star Awards.

Hall Staff

Hall resident assistants, coordinators, secretaries, desk assistants and custodians are here to help you feel right at home.

What is a Resident Assistant?
RAs are full-time students who are carefully selected and trained to be knowledgeable about university services and opportunities. The RA is there to help build a community where you can grow and succeed. Your RA will help you adjust to college life, keep you informed, get you involved and, most importantly, lend an ear when you need advice or assistance.

What is a Residence Life Coordinator?
Educated and trained in college student development, a Residence Life Coordinator is a full-time professional staff member who lives and works right in your residence hall. Each coordinator supervises RAs and desk staff, advises student groups and oversees management of the building.


More students work in Dining Services than any other department at UNI. More than 600 students earn good money, make great contacts, learn skills, build a work record and develop valuable references when they help Dining Services provide great experiences for thousands of other students. Supervisory jobs in Dining Service are excellent management training grounds, as well. Other Department of Residence jobs available include desk assistants, senate store managers and employees and weekend custodians.


Many students choose to loft their beds in order to create more space in their rooms. Rooms in Campbell, Hagemann, Lawther, Panther Village, ROTH and Shull are already furnished with lofts. If you are living in Bender, Dancer, Noehren and Rider, lofts may be purchased, built or rented.