Bright Scholars of Iowa
The H. Dale and Lois Bright Foundation provides the Bright Scholars of Iowa award. It is available to entering freshmen who will graduate from an Iowa high school and demonstrate financial need. Preference is given to students whose parents have not graduated from an accredited four-year college or university. The amount of the scholarship is equal to the cost of attendance less all other gift aid (including Pell Grants, institutional grants and scholarships, and private scholarships). The cost of attendance is equal to tuition & fees, room & board and books. This award is renewable for an additional three years provided the student maintains a 2.50 cumulative GPA, full-time enrollment and continue to qualify for a Federal Pell Grant.
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Current senior attending an Iowa high school
- Outstanding academic achievement (top 10% of high school graduating class or 299 RAI (Regents Admission Index) or higher, or ACT of 28 or above)
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning and community service, as well as success in the face of adversity
- Qualify for a Pell Grant as determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Priority to a child of parents who have not earned a four-year college degree
- Enrolling and maintaining full-time (12 credits or more per semester)
- Complete the online University Scholarship Application and upload essay describing how you have succeeded in the face of adversity in your life. Also included a summary of your high school and community service activities, including leadership roles assumed (no more than two typewritten pages).
- File the FAFSA prior to March 1st