TOEFL Alternatives

International students who are not native speakers of English must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The following are accepted by the University of Northern Iowa as measures of English proficiency:

  1. Obtain a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL (213-computer-based, 79-iBT) for unrestricted admission or 500 (173-computer-based, 61-iBT) for restricted admission (part-time intensive English and part-time academics).
  2. Obtain a International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum overall band score (academic track) of 6.0 for unrestricted admission.
  3. Obtain a Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) grade of A or B for unrestricted admission or grade of C for restricted admission.
  4. Obtain a Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) grade of A or B for unrestricted admission or grade of C for restricted admission.
  5. Obtain a Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) minimum score of 80 for unrestricted admission or 75 for restricted admission.
  6. Obtain a Advanced Placement International English Language (APIEL) score of 4 or 5 for unrestricted admission of 3 for restricted admission.
  7. Obtain a General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-level) pass in English with a grade of A, B, or C from one of the five British-based examining boards.
  8. Obtain a ACT Assessment English Test minimum score of 20.
  9. Obtain a SAT I Critical Reading minimum score of 460.
  10. Obtain a SAT II English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) minimum score of 965.
  11. Obtain a International Baccalaureate (IB) grade of 4, 5, 6, or 7 in English A1 or A2 at the Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL).
  12. Complete Level 7 of the UNI Culture and Intensive English Program (CIEP) with recommendation from the Director of CIEP
  13. Complete 30 or more semester hours of transferable credit with required grade point average from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.

Conditional admission may be considered for undergraduate students who are academically qualified but have low or no proof of English proficiency. These students will be tested upon arrival on campus and will be required to enroll in intensive English courses as necessary.