Access WiFi-UNI in Windows XP
Configuring Wireless in Windows XP for WiFi-UNI:
September 2, 2009
The following instructions are a step by step process explaining how to install the client for WiFi-UNI.
1) Go to Start > Network Connections
2) Right click on Wireless Network Connection
a) click on Properties
3) Select Wireless Networks tab
4) Preferred Networks
a) Add/Select the “WiFi-UNI”
b) Click the “Properties” button
5) Select the “Authentication” tab and select “WPA2” with “AES”
6) Check – “Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network”
a) Select EAP type: “Protected EAP (PEAP)”
b) Click on the “Properties” button
7) Check - “Validate server certificate”
a) Select Authentication Method:
“Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)”
8) Check - “Enable Fast Reconnect”
9) Click on the “Configure” button
10) Uncheck – “Automatically use my Windows logon name and password “
If this is a personal machine you most likely will NOT want to have the “Automatically use my
Windows…” box checked.
This box CAN BE (probably should be) checked for a laptop that is used as normal UNI office
workstation and logs into the UNI-Wireless network daily.
11) Click – “OK “
12) Click “OK” to close out the windows and save the settings
13) Click on your “Wireless Network Connection to select a certificate or other credentials for connection to the
14) Enter your UNI CatID information and click “OK”
Students: your CatID User name is your “Username” you selected for your email account
Faculty/Staff: your CatID User name is your Username NOT your email alias First.Last
Password: your CatID passphrase
Students: use Logon domain of “AD-ITS”
Faculty/Staff: use your normal Active Directory domain
Students: if this is the first time, you will have to have previously selected a new passphrase (your initial default
passphrase will not work) by logging into a workstation somewhere such a campus computer lab (PLEASE
REMEMBER IT ! ! ! )
This information should only need to be supplied once then the computer configuration will retain it for
subsequent connecting until the passphrase is changed or expires.
Remember, whenever your passphrase changes your wireless will not work until you enter the
current passphrase into the wireless.