Communicative Disorders


Communication DisordersMajor:

Communicative Disorders, B.A.

(Click major/minor/certificate title to see typical courses for the program)

The undergraduate program in the Department of Communicative Disorders at the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) provides students with a pre-professional foundation leading ultimately to careers as speech-language pathologists or audiologists. These professions provide remedial services to persons with speech, language and hearing disorders in a wide variety of educational and hospital/clinic settings. Speech-language pathologists and audiologists have the opportunity to help both children and adults with their speech and hearing difficulties. A master’s degree is required as minimal preparation in speech-language pathology. As of 2007, the doctoral degree will be minimal preparation for audiology. Completion of the B.A. degree is the first step toward the career objective.


Plan of Study

Discover the courses you'll take as a communicative disorders major in the Plan of Study.


Graduates with a master's degree from the Department of Communicative Disorders are actively recruited. Placement figures indicate that virtually 100 percent of departmental M.A. graduates are currently employed in public schools, medical settings or private practice.

Unique Features: 
  • Undergraduate clinical experiences

  • Accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech–Language–Hearing Association

  • Outstanding teaching faculty who are known nationally for contributions to the field

  • Excellent preparation for graduate programs

  • Roy Eblen Speech and Hearing Clinic located in the Communication Arts Center, an excellent resource for practicum experience

  • State-of-the-art teaching and research technology

  • Instructional computer lab

  • Sertoma Laboratory for the Advanced Study of Communicative Disorders

Scholarships & Awards: 

To be considered for many University of Northern Iowa scholarships, you need only complete the application for admission. For additional scholarship opportunities complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after Jan. 1. Colleges and departments within the university have separate application procedures, deadlines and interviews that may be required for scholarship consideration. Please refer to Scholarship Directory for Freshmen and Transfer Students for full details.