Leisure, Youth, and Human Services



Leisure, Youth and Human Services, B.A.


Leisure, Youth and Human Services  

Certificate Programs:

Aquatics Specialization  

Nonprofit Management and American Humanics  

Outdoor Recreation   

School-Age Care Leadership  


(Click major/minor/certificate title to see typical courses for the program)


Plan of Study

Discover the courses you'll take as a leisure, youth and human services major in the Plan of Study.


Leisure, Youth and Human services graduates are eligible for a wide variety of service and employment settings including:

  • Community-based centers and human service agencies

  • Camps, nature centers, wilderness education

  • Condominium developments

  • Convention/visitor bureaus

  • County, state and federal mental health treatment centers

  • County, state and federal natural resource agencies

  • Facility management such as recreation centers, swimming pools, golf courses, tennis clubs

  • Festival and event management

  • Health clubs and recreational fitness centers

  • Home health care

  • Hospitality industry

  • Hospitals and physical rehabilitation facilities

  • Local recreation and park agencies

  • Nonprofit agencies, i.e. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, YWCA, 4-H, Camp Fire

  • Military installations

  • Private corporation and tourism agencies

  • Recreation agencies including national associations for disabled persons

  • Residential settings - long-term and nursing home facilities

  • Resorts, private camps, travel and hospitality industry

  • Sports competition such as Special Olympics

  • Youth/adult correction centers

Unique Features: 
  • Founded in 1976, the Leisure, Youth and Human Services Division has a strong history of excellence and is widely recognized within the park and recreation field and in nonprofit youth agencies who are part of American Humanics.

  • A stable curriculum which is responsive to a changing society.

  • Students who are active and involved in professional activities and organizations.

  • Minimum of 500 hours of paid or volunteer experience prior to internship.

  • World headquarters for Camp Adventure program involving approximately 700 college students (350 from UNI) and more than 7,000 children of U.S. military families on 76 bases in 11 countries.

  • Tourism certificate designed to complement a wide variety of majors.

  • Outdoor pursuits certificate designed to provide a background for delivering programs that combine the natural environment, perceived risk and human relations skills.

  • Youth agency administration certificate designed to support those working in non-profit youth agencies.

  • Outstanding teaching faculty who are nationally and internationally known through presentations and publications.

  • A 12-member advisory board representing a wide range of organizations.


WRC The Wellness/Recreation Center (WRC) serves as the primary instructional and research center of the School of Health, Physical Education and Leisure Services. In addition, the WRC provides a focus for the recreation/wellness needs of students, faculty and staff members of the university. The WRC integrates these two functions in a way that allows the simultaneous use of the facility, without compromising the integrity of either function.

This bold new facility provides state-of-the-art space for classrooms, laboratories, and faculty and staff offices. Space designed for research, teaching and public service includes the exercise physiology laboratory, biomechanics laboratory, biostatistics laboratory, psychomotor behavior laboratory, teaching laboratory, athletic training laboratory, and the wellness resources laboratory. Activity areas include five aerobic/dance studios, six handball/racquetball courts, two multi-purpose courts, a one-tenth-mile jogging track, fitness/conditioning areas, a nearly 40-foot high climbing wall, leisure pool, instructional pool with seating for 300, and an outdoor pursuits center.

Scholarships & Awards: 

To be considered for many University of Northern Iowa scholarships, you need only complete the application for admission. More information on department scholarships can found at Financial Aid.