Welcome to Panther Pep Bands!
The UNI School of Music boasts two exciting Pep Bands that perform for basketball games during the fall and spring semesters. Under the administrative supervision of Dr. Danny Galyen and directed by graduate assistants Janel Harms and Cory Schmitt, these ensembles are an important generator of spirit at men's and women's home basketball games. Select members of this ensemble travel to post season conference and NCAA tournaments.
Membership in the Pep Bands is open to all UNI students. Student musicians representing virtually every academic discipline perform a varied and highly energized musical repertoire. A limited number of Pep Band scholarships are awarded each season by audition. Basketball Pep Band auditions are held in October. The UNI Basketball Pep Bands are spring semester classes that meet from November to March. Audition information and Schedules are below.
The information below was last updated on Sunday, September 15, 2013. Please make sure you have the updated information below!
1. Attend the Mandatory Pep Band Meeting on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:45pm in the UNI Dome Stands. All information about band assignments and scholarship auditions will be discussed at this meeting. Please bring your yearly planner to this meeting so that we can discuss tournament dates.
Students who would like to be eligible for a scholarship must audition for a scholarship position. See below for audition information.
Students who would like to join the band without a scholarship may be asked to play individually in order to facilitate the assignment of parts. More information about this will be discussed at the mandatory meeting.
2. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted on the door to Room 80 in GBPAC beginning on Wednesday, September 25, 2013. Please come to Room 80 after September 25 to sign up for an audition time.
• Monday, September 30, 8:30pm-10:00pm, DOME
• Tuesday, October 1, 5:30pm-9:30pm, GBPAC 64
• Wednesday, October 2, 8:30pm-10:00pm, DOME
• Drum-set auditions will be held on Tuesday, October 1 from 5:30-6:30pm in the PAC drumset practice room.
For wind and bass auditions, please prepare a short piece (a pep band song is acceptable) and the UNI Fight Song (PDFs are located Here). There will be a short sight reading portion.
For drumset, you will be asked to perform the UNI Fight Song on drumset, and during the audition you will also be asked to create a drum part to accompany a recording. The recording is located here.
3. After the auditions you will be assigned to either the Purple or Gold Pep Band, and a schedule of performances for the band you are assigned will be emailed to you.
4. There will be 3 Rehearsals for Basketball Pep Band:
Tuesday, October 22, 2013, GBPAC Davis Hall, 7:00-9:00pm
Tuesday, October 29, 2013, GBPAC Davis Hall, 7:00-9:00pm
QUESTIONS about joining the Basketball Bands? Email Graduate Assistant Cory Schmitt at email@example.com
2013-2014 Performance Schedule TBA
Dates and times subject to change