Share this

UNI's Maucker Union to reopen with 50 percent more space, and greater food options

August 17, 2003
Contact: 

Jan Hanish, director, Maucker Union, (319) 273-2257
Gwenne Culpepper, University Marketing & Public Relations, (319) 273-2761

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa -- The University of Northern Iowa's Maucker Union will re-open for business on Friday, Aug. 22. Closed since May, Maucker Union has remodeled 20,000 square feet and is adding an additional 42,000 square feet. The project also includes new housing for the university's Center for Multicultural Education, now located at the Union. The CME will officially open later this fall.

The Union now features a coffee bar called Chat's, where gourmet coffee, bakery items and Freshen's Smoothies and Premium Yogurt will be available; new and renovated meeting rooms; and handicapped-accessible entrances.

Temporary food service will be in the Union's Old Central Ballroom, previously known as the Expansion. Additional food services will open later in the year in Prexy's Court. They are Avanti, featuring pizza and pasta, Flare's with grilled items, Wasabi serving international foods, and Blimpie's sub sandwiches. A grand-opening ceremony for this area will take place later this year.

Jan Hanish, director of Maucker Union, noted that when construction is complete, the Union also will have a new retail outlet area. 'This will be an expanded retail area with snacks, candy, school supplies, magazines, newspapers, logowear, gifts and greeting cards,' she explained. 'In addition, on the upper level, we will have new space for International Services, Northern Iowa Student Government, student organizations, and student activities.'

Maucker Union was constructed in 1969, as the University Union. It was renamed in 1974, to honor J.W. Maucker, UNI president from 1950 to 1970. In 1990, the multi-purpose Expansion was completed. The most recent addition and renovation began in spring 2002, and was funded exclusively through student fees, at a cost of $13 million.