Michael J. Licari was named interim executive vice president and provost at the University of Northern Iowa effective July 1, 2014. Licari had been serving as the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Graduate College, a position he held since August, 2010. Prior to that he served as the head of the Political Science department and as the associate dean in the Graduate College. He has also served on the UNI Faculty Senate, chairing that body in the 2007-8 academic year. Provost Licari earned his doctorate and M.A. in Political Science from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He holds a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Minnesota.
- Provide intellectually challenging experiences for undergraduate students by offering a strong liberal arts core and dynamic degree programs; and promote and encourage excellence in graduate education
- Support a faculty distinguished by their creative and intellectually rigorous teaching and scholarship
- Promote interdisciplinary collaborations between faculty, departments and colleges that will result in courses and degree programs addressing current and future global, cultural, social, economic and/or political issues
- Focus on diverse educational delivery systems including innovative online programs and degrees
- Explore partnerships with other institutions of higher education in the state and world to reach new students
- Promote community engagement through both teaching and research to help address current and future cultural, social, and economic issues in the state, nation, and world
- Advance UNI’s commitment to diversity (recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students; campus climate)