1. FINALIZE YOUR CLASS SCHEDULE as soon as possible.
2. SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT. Contact Student Disability Services (SDS) at (319) 273-2677 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to make an appointment with an SDS staff person.
- During your meeting you and the SDS staff will discuss documentation and academic adjustments for which you are eligible, review policy and procedures, and complete Student Academic Accommodation Request (SAAR) forms for instructors.
- You are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment for academic accommodations within the first two or three weeks of the semester.
3. COMPLETE THE SAAR FORMS WITH SDS . Arrive 15-20 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to complete the student section of the SAAR forms at SDS. Completing the student section before your appointment is required and will greatly reduce the length of your appointment.
- Bring your Student Identification Number, Class Schedule (including course names, course numbers, and section numbers), and Instructors' Names in order to complete the student section of the SAAR forms.
- Following completion of the forms, SDS WILL RETAIN A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL (blue copy) to ensure that accurate information is provided to instructors.
- Students will retain the additional copies (white, yellow, and pink) until meetings with instructors can be arranged.
4. MEET WITH INSTRUCTORS AND WORK OUT LOGISTICS . Schedule an appointment with your instructors or meet with them during their office hours within one week of completing SAAR forms with SDS.
- Discuss with them how the accommodations can fit within their curriculum. The instructor is the expert on the information to be taught in the course and you are the expert on how your disability impacts you academically. This discussion between you and your instructor should lead to an experience where both of you feel comfortable with the accommodations.
- At the conclusion of each meeting, instructors will sign on the instructor signature line, indicating their consent to provide the accommodations. At that time, instructors will retain the pink copy for their records.
5. RETURN FORMS TO SDS . After you have met with each of your instructors to discuss accommodations, remove the yellow copies of the SAAR forms for your records. Return the white copies to SDS no later than two weeks following your scheduled appointment.
- SDS will verify that accommodations remain unchanged upon return of the SAAR forms.
6. REPEAT THE PROCEDURE NEXT SEMESTER . You are responsible for requesting new SAAR forms at the beginning of each semester as you will have new classes and faculty.
- If you wait too long, it may be difficult to make the necessary arrangements. Instructors are under no obligation to provide accommodations for a student who is not registered with the SDS and who does not set up accommodations in a timely manner.
For a printable, PDF version of this information, click HERE