October is an exciting time for our office as we celebrate Disability Awareness Month. If you are looking to get involved, or just looking to learn more about disability culture, check out the following opportunities!
- "The Hammer" Movie: Friday, October 4 at 7 PM, Kamerick Art Building Rm. 111. UNI Communication Sciences and Disorders Department presents "The Hammer", a 2010 drama about Deaf wrestler Matt Hammill as he pursues collegiate gold. Based on a true story, rated PG-13.
- SDS Annual Hot Chocolate Outreach: Monday, October 7 from 11 AM - 1 PM, outside the Student Health Center. SDS staff will be handing out free hot chocolate and information regarding disability history and culture.
- ASL Club Meeting: Tuesday, October 15 at 8 PM in the State College Room, MAU. Review for midterms in the ASL Classes. All are welcome to come and catch up on what Beginning and Advanced ASL have been doing this year!
- Next Steps Transition Workshop for High School Students with Disabilities: Wednesday, October 16 from 9:30 AM - 2 PM, Gilchrist Hall. A free workshop for area high school students with disabilities interested in attending college. Learn more about the differences between high school and college, your rights and responsibilities as an individual with a disability, and tour UNI's beautiful campus. Registration is required.
- Inclusion and Accessibility Resources Fair: Wednesday, October 23 from 11 AM - 2 PM, Central Ballroom A, MAU. SDS is hosting an Inclusion and Accessibility Resources Fair to showcase the wonderful programs and services UNI has that provide an inclusive and accessible environment for all, regardless of ability.
- Silent Bingo: Halloween Edition: Tuesday, October 29 at 8 PM in the State College Room, MAU. ASL Club presents Silent Bingo. Come dressed to impress and win prizes. Practice letters and numbers while munching on snacks and treats!