October is an exciting time for our office as we celebrate Disability Awareness Month. If you are looking to get involved, or just looking to learn more about disability culture, check out the following opportunities!
- SDS Annual Hot Chocolate Outreach: Friday, October 3 from 9 - 11 AM, outside the Student Health Center. SDS staff will be handing out free hot chocolate and information regarding disability history and culture.
- Next Steps Transition Workshop for High School Students with Disabilities: Tuesday, October 7 from 9:30 AM - 3 PM, Towers Center. A free workshop for area high school students with disabilities interested in attending college. Learn more about the differences between high school and college, your rights and responsibilities as an individual with a disability, and tour UNI's beautiful campus. Registration is required.
- World Mental Health Day - Living with Schizophrenia: Watch our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/unisds) on Friday, October 10th for information, posts, and videos on World Mental Health Day with this year's focus on schizophrenia.
- Read & Write Gold Presentations: On October 15 from 8:15 - 9:15 AM and October 23 from 9:15 - 10:15 AM, in SAB 102, Brittany Warren will provide an overview of the various features and supports available in this FREE program available to all UNI students, faculty, and staff.
- SDS Lunch & Learn: On October 31 from 12-1 PM in the Elm Room of MAU, SDS will be hosting a panel discussion on the experience of disability and receiving accommodations at UNI. Please join us to hear from current UNI students with disabilities to learn more about how you can create a more inclusive environment for all.