- Passport, valid for at least six months
- I-20 form (Some foreign nationals are required to present an I-20 showing acceptance into academic classes at a college or university level. The UNI Culture and Intensive English Program cannot issue such an I-20.)
- Receipt for I-901 SEVIS fee
- A Machine Readable Visa (MRV) Receipt to show payment of the visa application fee
- One 2x2 photograph
- A financial statement or financial guarantee report
- Transcripts or diplomas from current or previous institutions
To retain F-1 visa status, a student must attend a full course of study (20 hours per week) in the UNI Culture and Intensive English Program. Students must complete a year of study or have completed the highest level of the program before being allowed to take time off from study. Failure to be enrolled for a full course of study is considered a violation of the F-1 student status and places the student in a deportable situation.
Employment opportunities are limited for international students. F-1 students are only allowed to work under specific circumstances. On-campus employment is permitted up to 20 hours per week; however, off-campus employment is limited to internship or other work-study programs that may be required for a specific degree.
Prospective students must enter the U.S. on a student visa. Persons with permanent resident status and those already in the U.S. with diplomatic or other visas may also be eligible for the program if study is not the main purpose of their stay in the United States.
Additional information on student visas can be found on the website for the U.S. Department of State.
For more information on the visa interview process, visit Visa Dos and Don'ts.
A receipt showing fee payment must be presented to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate before the F-1 visa will be issued. The Culture and Intensive English Program will send the SEVIS receipts with the I-20 form to prospective students after the students’ application form and documents have been processed.
For more information about applying for your visa and the visa interview, please view the interactive presentations below.