Education of the Gifted Endorsement
The University of Northern Iowa offers a four-course sequence satisfying state requirements for the Iowa PK-12 Talented and Gifted Endorsement (#107). Completed in two semesters, this program addresses all of the national standards for preparing teachers of the gifted, as published jointly by the Council of Exceptional Children (CEC) and National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC).
New cohort to begin Fall 2015
- Designed for classroom teachers and graduate students holding a current Iowa teaching certificate or approved equivalent.
- Cohort delivery model — complete the course sequence entirely online with the same group of adult learners for the duration of the program.
- Network and share strategies with practicing teachers facing similar challenges.
- Coursework designed using the Quality Matters rubric of professional standards based upon research, best practices and national standards for course design.
Flexible learning for a busy life
This manageable course sequence offers two courses each semester, with a total of 12 units of credit. Eight-week courses provide focus and attention to topics while advancing through the nine-month sequence.
Courses in this program are offered entirely online via eLearning. While most students encounter very few technical difficulties with our online courses, our team of support specialists is available to assist you as needed.
Strongly recommended skills
- Persistence, perseverance and a desire to learn more about gifted students and to advocate for their needs.
- Ability to think complexly and intellectually, as well as integrate several different skill areas/components into one product.
- Capacity for creative thinking; enjoyment of word play, humor and appreciation of creative products.
Required technology skills
- Access to Microsoft PowerPoint (ability to make/format presentations and use basic drawing/shape tools)
- Microsoft Word (ability to make/alter a table and perform basic formatting)
- Access to a digital camera
- Ability to insert photos or images, crop, adjust size/brightness/contrast of an image.