GISP COMM 4217/5217 Freedom of Speech -- 3 unit(s)
Development of laws and social attitudes that have attempted to regulate communication in the United States; relation of free speech to national security, to regulation of the public forum and to artistic expression; analysis of doctrines and tests used by the Supreme Court in interpreting the limits to free expression.
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
This course is available in a print-based format. Mail completed assignments to the GIS Office. We will forward them to the instructor for grading.
- UNI students: junior standing
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Communications and Arts distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Marvin Jensen, Professor Emeritus
Smolla, R.A. Free Speech in an Open Society. 1992. New York: Vintage.
Additional Course Materials
Access to a DVD player will be needed in order to view DVDs used in this course. There is a nonrefundable material fee of $5 for DVDs used in this course.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746