GISW SW 1041 Social Welfare: A World View -- 3 unit(s)
Comparative study of social welfare (social insurance, public welfare, charity and philanthropy, social services and mutual aid) in the United States and selected nations from five regions of the world as defined by the International Congress of Schools of Social Work (African, Asian, European, Latin American and North American regions).
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
- Course notes
- Same as SOC SCI 1041
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- Liberal Arts Core
- Students who plan to graduate from UNI must complete the Liberal Arts Core (LAC). This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to Category 5. Social Science - C. Topical Perspectives. For details about your LAC, please discuss with your advisor and/or visit www.uni.edu/lac.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Professional Fields distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Katherine Van Wormer, Professor
Van Wormer, K. Introduction to Social Welfare and Social Work: The U.S. in Global Perspective. 2006. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Brooks/Cole.
Additional Course Materials
A course packet containing reading materials is available from the Guided Independent Study Office for $24.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at CEEE 16 on the UNI campus. Campus Map
- For more information
- Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746