Literacy Education (MAE)
Step one: Express your interest
Please complete the online interest form to the right to express your interest in joining a future Literacy Education MAE cohort. The next cohort is scheduled to begin Fall 2016. We will use the information you provide to send you program updates, including important information about application deadlines as they become available.
Step two: Apply for admission to the University of Northern Iowa
We encourage you to apply for admission to graduate studies through the University of Northern Iowa as soon as possible. Include all transcripts in your application, including any graduate courses you may wish to have considered as part of your program of study. Applications received by June 1, 2016 will receive full consideration. Note: to be considered for the scholarship, application and additional materials should be submitted by Jan. 15, 2016.
Former UNI students: The online application requires logging in with your CatID credentials. If you have forgotten your username or passphrase, contact us at CESP-Consult@uni.edu or 800-772-1746 and let us know that you are interested in applying for the Literacy Education MAE program.
Need help with your UNI application?
- Complete the online Application for Graduate Study (click to open application in a new window)
- Please note that you are applying for admission as a Graduate for Fall 2016.
- The program for which you are applying is Literacy Education - MAE.
- Note that if you have received a degree from UNI, you do not have to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee or request your UNI transcripts.
- International students: Please contact Linda Jernigan at email@example.com or 319-273-5925 for specific instructions.
Step three: Complete steps for admission to the Literacy Education MAE program
In addition to the university requirements for admission to graduate studies, admission to the Literacy Education program includes the following requirements:
- Send two written recommendations from professional educators to:
Office of Admissions
University of Northern Iowa
002 Gilchrist Hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018
- The Writing Examination: After your application to the university is complete, please contact the Literacy Education office (319-273-2698 or Lori.Shannon@uni.edu) to set up a writing examination. This exam can be taken on campus or under the direct supervision of a proctor at a site near you. The writing exam takes one hour and involves an open-ended writing prompt.
What to expect
When your application for graduate study is complete, you will receive confirmation from UNI Admissions staff that they have received and forwarded your application and transcripts to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction for review.
The department will review your application materials and contact you about your admission status. Following admission to the program, you will be provided enrollment information as it becomes available.
Delivery of the program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.