down arrowMenu

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Transfer Student Information

Transferring Financial Aid to UNI

Want to transfer to UNI but are unsure of the steps necessary to receive your financial aid?  The following information will allow you to better understand financial opportunities for transfer students. 

The first step to ensuring that you will receive financial aid is to complete the FAFSA each year that you will be attending college. To complete an online FAFSA you will need to have your Federal Student Aid ID. The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year is available October 1.  Students should enter the UNI School Code: 001890 to allow your FAFSA results to be submitted to UNI.

NOTE: Students considering a mid-year transfer would want to also complete or update the current year FAFSA. The electronic transfer of FAFSA results can be completed online by logging into an already submitted FAFSA and adding or deleting your School Code. 

Types of Financial Aid

Transfer students are eligible for grants, scholarships, loans and student employment opportunities based on the results of their FAFSA.  Please visit our Types of Aid link to learn more about all forms of financial aid.  Financial aid information specific to transfer students is outlined below:


Grants are considered "gift aid" and do not have to be repaid. Eligibility for grants is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as calculated on the FAFSA.  

Tuition Guarantee Program for Multicultural Community College Iowans:  This program provides two year commitment of full tuition and fees provided through a combination of federal, state, and institutional grants and scholarships. The applicant must be an Iowa resident, must be Pell Grant eligible as determined by the FAFSA throughout two years for continued eligibility, must have 30 transferable hours from an Iowa Community College, and requires ethnic or racial status of African American/Black, Hispanic/Latina/Spanish, Alaskan Native or American Indian, Asian, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.

Learn more about grants offered at UNI.   


All students are encouraged to complete the UNI Scholarship Application to apply for scholarships offered through UNI.   Transfer scholarships to note include:

Transfer Scholars Award: These $1,000 one year awards are available to incoming transfer students.  If selected, students are notified following full admission to the university.  To be considered, students must be admitted to UNI with 30 transferable hours and have on record a GPA of 3.25 or better at the time of scholarship awarding. 

Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Scholarships: A $1,000 scholarship for new transfer students who have earned 30 or more semester hours (after high school graduation) at the time of application, have maintained a 3.5 cumulative GPA, and hold membership in the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.  Must complete a PTK Transfer Scholarship Confirmation form, available at  Scholarships may be renewed for a second year if a student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and continuous full-time enrollment at UNI.  Priority is given to students admitted before March 15.

Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) All Iowa Academic Scholarships: A $2,000 scholarship awarded to students named to the Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team.  This scholarship is renewable for a second year with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and full-time enrollment.  Visit for more information. Send a copy of your All Iowa Academic award certificate or confirmation letter to:
Office of Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018

All-USA Academic Team Award: This $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to student named to the All-USA Academic Yeam. This scholarship os renewable for a second year with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and full-time enrollment. Send a copy of your All-USA Academic Team award certificate or confirmation letter to:
Office of Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018

Roy J. Carver Scholarships: This $5,200 per year scholarship is awarded to students that have overcome difficult obstacles in their life.  Applicants must have junior level standing.  Apply by April 1 and receive additional information by visiting 

UNIBusiness Transfer Scholarship: Five $1,000 renewable scholarships will be awarded to the top five income transfer students based on their current GPA reported via the UNI Scholarship Application. Once in the college of business, these scholarship recipients must maintain a 3.0 minimum UNI cumulative GPA to renew their scholarship. These students are required to take the ALEKS test upon admission.

All other scholarships at UNI require the completion of the UNI Scholarship Application. This application allows students to apply for scholarships available in specific majors and other University departments.


If you are wanting to borrow loans at UNI you will need to accept them on your Financial Aid Award on MyUNIverse.  You will also need to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling at  If you have borrowed Direct Loans at your previous college you will not have to complete another Direct Loan Master Promissory Note.  If a student is a first-time borrower, they will need to complete Direct Loan promissory notes and entrance counseling at

Loan Deferment

Direct Loans that have been borrowed at previous institutions will be automatically deferred once you are officially enrolled at UNI.  Be sure to contact all other lenders to inform them that you have transferred and they will provide you with information regarding how your loan can be deferred.  

Student Employment

As a transfer student, there exist a number of benefits to student employment at UNI. An on-campus work experience would allow you to quickly become integrated within the UNI community, in addition to networking with faculty and staff. Hours of employment are extremely flexible, with student typically working 10-15 hours per week on campus.

Student employment opportunities can be found at the Online Job Board, where you’ll be able to view both on and off campus, work-study and non-work study opportunities.