Math Walk Challenge
Make mathematics visible and provide exercise for both body and mind - Create a Math Walk! This is simply a tour peppered with questions to promote mathematical thinking. Depending on your audience, your walk may contain open-ended questions or questions more suitable for competition. Here are some ideas to incorporate into your walk:
- Scavenger hunt: Seek two and three dimensional objects such as circles, polygons, parallel lines, prisms, cylinders, or pyramids.
- Estimate the pitch of a roof, or the height, area, or volume of something.
- Count the number of rectangles (of all sizes) in a large, subdivided window or some other design.
- Look for various symmetries in hubcaps of cars in a parking lot.
- Compute the fraction of a building wall which is glass.