Jeffrey Cornett, dean, UNI College of Education, (319) 273-2717, firstname.lastname@example.org
James O'Connor, University Marketing & Public Relations, (319) 273-2761
UNI College of Education receives approval with selected conditions for educational leadership program for principals
The State Board of Education today gave four major university-based educational leadership programs approval to continue offering their master's-level administrator preparation programs. Three of these, including the University of Northern Iowa, received approval with selected conditions to be met by May 2004. UNI will submit the additional documentation to complete the approval process.
According to Jeffrey Cornett, dean of UNI's College of Education, the board's report cited UNI for several program strengths. 'UNI has one of the most respected educational leadership programs in the state, and the country,' said Cornett. 'We're currently are educating more than 150 future principals in five statewide cohorts.'
Details about the UNI college of education and its educational leadership program:
1) UNI's College of Education (COE) is home to one of the nation's best-known teacher preparation programs
2) UNI is currently educating more than 150 future principals in five statewide cohorts. It also has two cohorts for future superintendents.
3) The COE uses high-tech means to reach students across the state who can't easily travel to UNI for classes
- The COE uses the ICN, supported by WebCT, to educate education administrators in all 99 counties in the state
- The COE provides a specialized preparation program for principals located in the eight largest Iowa school districts
4) The COE has a network of more than 200 practicing administrators who serve as field mentors for UNI students
5) The COE currently provides professional development opportunities to 97 percent of Iowa superintendents through the Iowa Superintendent Finance and Leadership Consortium
For more information about the UNI Administrator Preparation program, visit www.uni.edu/coe/elcpe