Requesting a Course Overload

Posted on Monday, October 28th, 2013

Registering for your classes and soon realize that you need to take more credits than the maximum allowed (i.e., 18 credits for undergraduate students and 15 credits for graduate students)? Don't worry! All you need to do is request approval for a course overload.

Undergraduate Students: 

Undergraduate students in Good academic standing who want to register for more than 18 credit hours, must complete the Undergraduate Student Request form and submit it to our office. If the request falls outside of the GPA guidelines listed below, then the consent of your Academic Advisor or Advising Center must be secured.

If an undergraduate student in Good acdaemic standing (>=3.00) wishes to take up through 20 hours, the request will [generally] be routinely approved. Requests for 21 or more hours will be adjuged on an individual basis with priority given to students who could graduate upon completion of the term under consideration. General GPA guidelines and approval levels:

  •  >=3.00 up to and including 20 hours
  • 21+ hours requires the approval of the student's Academic Advisor or Advising Center

Graduate Students:

Graduate students in Good academic standing who want to register for more than 15 credit hours, must file a Graduate Student Request through MyUNIverse. These requests are reviewed and approved by the Graduate College.

Connect With Us

Office Hours

Fall/Spring: (M-F) 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Summer:(M-F) 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


(319) 273-2241


(319) 273-6792