Welcome back from President Ruud
Welcome back Students, Faculty and Staff at the University of Northern Iowa!
UNI students learn the Interlude Dance at the Panther Kick-Off on Aug. 24.
It is great to have you back on campus. And for those of you who are new to UNI, I'd like to express a very warm welcome from the entire Panther family!
We've been very busy this summer preparing for your arrival. You'll find several updates and new opportunities on campus:
- Rod Library has added a new patio and entrance on the west side of the building.
- There's a new video board in the UNI-Dome, which is a significant step forward as we continue to enhance the spectator experience in our venues.
- The Communication Arts Center courtyard is getting a makeover.
- UNI students will now be able to play intramural sports into the night with the addition of lights at the intramural fields.
- Baker Hall has been taken down and is being replaced by a great walkway, green space and parking access to campus. You will also find a great vista as you look back North toward the Campanile from the South.
UNI continues to expand and enhance our campus to provide an even more meaningful college experience. Yet we've never forgotten what makes us special: a small, friendly family feel combined with vast opportunities to broaden your mind and outlook. You are a name, not a number at UNI!
There are also a lot of activities for you to get involved with this semester. During Homecoming Week, which runs from Monday, September 15 through Sunday, September 21, we're bringing back one of UNI's most treasured traditions: the Homecoming Parade on Saturday, September 20.
On Thursday and Friday, September 4 and 5, Amy Thielen, host of the Food Network show "Heartland Table," will visit the UNI campus. Thielen will conduct food demonstrations at UNI's Harvest Festival Thursday afternoon and give a presentation in Maucker Union Thursday evening.
In addition to these special events, remember to stop by the Student Involvement Center in Maucker Union to learn about the more than 250 student organizations that are available. And, plan to support student performances and cheer on your Panther athletic teams in the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center, the UNI-Dome and the McLeod Center.
Finally, I would like to thank everyone who participated in Sunday's Panther Kick-Off. It was great seeing so many of you take part in this new UNI tradition!
Have a great 2014-15 everyone. I look forward to seeing you around campus.
Purple for Life!