Violence Intervention Services
Violence Intervention Services provides an array of advocacy services for victims of sexual assault, physical/emotional abuse, stalking and harassment, including:
- counseling, medical and legal referrals both on campus and in the community
- assisting victims in accessing resources
- providing information on all reporting and complaint options and how to file such complaints (including university disciplinary, criminal, and civil complaints)
- assistance in securing updates concerning the status of University and criminal complaints
- assistance in accessing safe housing, including alternate campus housing
- assistance with requests for changes in academic class schedule and other academic accommodations
- assistance in obtaining University no contact orders and no trespass orders
- assistance in obtaining reimbursement for crime-related expenses
- accompanying victims to meetings with university, law enforcement, and other officials, as requested by the victim
- assistance in preparing victim impact statements
- prevention programming, education and outreach
- consultation with students, faculty and staff who are concerned about someone they believe was harmed
All Violence Intervention services are confidential and free-of-charge.
Student Sexual Misconduct Policy
The University of Northern Iowa is committed to providing a safe living and learning environment for all students. Maintaining this type of environment requires that any sexual behavior of students be consensual. Special emphasis is placed on violence prevention, providing support for those who may have been victimized and ensuring a vigorous enforcement of institutional policy and law.
The University’s response to sexual misconduct seeks to balance the rights, needs and privacy of victims and those of the accused, while maintaining the health and safety of the campus community.