France: University of Franche-Comté
Besançon is located Eastern France. Its beauty is undeniably unique, which is why in 2008 it was officially named a world heritage site by UNESCO. By choosing the University of Franche-Comté as your study abroad, location, you will study in the heart of Europe in a preserved environment where nature, heritage, culture and strong relations are yours for the taking.
Dates & Deadlines
Term: Summer 2024
App Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2024
Program Dates: Dates vary (typically follows a calendar month)
Term: Fall 2024 for 2+2 program
App Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2024
Program Dates: August to June (check with SAC for more specifics)
Besançon is a cute city in Eastern France. Birthplace of Victor Hugo and the Lumière Brothers. It boasts the masterpiece of the famous French military engineer Vauban: The Citadel. Its beauty is undeniably unique, which is why in 2008 it was officially named a world heritage site by UNESCO. If you have a free afternoon, walk up to the Citadel of Besançon where you can visit a zoo and different museums all inside its magnificent walls.
The heart of the city is surrounded and protected by the Doubs River, which is why the locals talk about La Boucle when referring to the city center, which means “the loop.” Each bridge that crosses the Doubs connects downtown to the rest of the city and each one is unique in its own way and full of history, such as the Battant Bridge, or Pont Battant.
As you may already know, Besançon is a lively city thanks to the many students that fill the streets every day. There are around 23,000 students every year, so it’s no wonder that Besançon lives as much at night as it does during the day! Not to mention the huge number of international students that spend a year or more in the city and are always eager to meet new people.
Details on the 2+2 program can be found on the Department of Languages and Literatures Website.
Founded in 1423, the Université de Franche-Comté of today is a multidisciplinary establishment of higher education. Its international purpose is old since even in 1562 it had 223 international students compared to the only 45 local students from Franche-Comté making a total of 268 students! Today it contains over 23,000 students from 5 different university cities.
The Université de Franche-Comté is a pioneer in quality disciplines and there you can prepare any type of European degrees. It also has a lot to offer in terms of culture, sports and student life thanks to its numerous services such as Campus Sport and Campus Santé (Health).
Study in the heart of Europe in a preserved environment where nature, heritage, culture and strong relations are yours for the taking.
Visit their website to learn more about the university itself.
Estimated Program Cost: $13,885*
*estimated total cost of participation, actual amount depends on type of housing accommodation selected, actual airfare purchase price, personal spending habits, and other factors
|Estimated Total Program Cost|
|Estimated U-bill Charges|
|Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs|
Cost of Studying On Campus at UNI*
*per semester, estimated, will vary per person
|Tuition & Fees||$4,527|
|Room & Board||$4,580|
Eligibility Requirements to Study Abroad
The Study Abroad Center reserves the right to determine participants' eligibility to study abroad. Students must have a completed study abroad application, including supportive recommendation form(s). Additionally, students must meet all of the following in order to be eligible to study abroad:
- Have a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher at the time of application and maintain this cumulative GPA prior to departure and throughout the study abroad process
- If your cumulative GPA is lower than 2.5, submit the following to the Study Abroad Center (103 East Bartlett):
- Letters of reference from two academic contacts (e.g. academic advisor and former or current professor) supporting your pursuit of study abroad. If you are attending a faculty-led study abroad program, one of the letters must be from a course leader. However, if the program has two course leaders, only one of the letters can be from one of the course leaders.
- Must be over the age of 18 years old
- Must meet the course prerequisites (participation in the program is dependent upon meeting these)
- Must be in good standing with the university
- UNI's partner institutions may require additional eligibility requirements to be met, these vary from institution to institution. Please consult with the Study Abroad Center staff to discuss these additional requirements, if applicable.
- Applicants traveling to a region of a country or a country with an overall Travel Advisory Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) or 4 (Do Not Travel) will not be eligible