Faculty-led Program in Costa Rica - Winter
Students will have the opportunity to critically analyze the origins and consequences of one’s own personal values as well as apply ethical reasoning to important issues facing society. Students will experience first-hand the values held by others and analyze how these compare with their own. These cross-cultural experiences will emphasize the process of inquiry and analysis to assist students in developing the reasoning skills to ethically address important, complex issues with the global community.
Visits will include a trip to the Starbuck's coffee plantation, the Poás Volcano, natural hot springs, and national parks where students may see animals including monkey's, sloths, iguanas, frogs/lizards, birds and many others. Activities include white water rafting, beach activities, and much more! Students will get to try a variety of fruits and other local foods.
Participation in this program fulfills the UNIFI: Responsibility category. It can count as a general education UNIFI elective credit under the category of Connect. Students will be enrolled into their study abroad course by Study Abroad Center staff.
Dates & Deadlines
App Deadline: Friday, September 15, 2023
Program Dates: Tuesday, January 2, 2024 to Friday, January 10, 2024
BUS 3159: The Ethics of Global Leadership, Cross-Cultural Negotiations, and Sustainability (3 credits)
- This is a UNIFI: Responsibility category course. It can count as a general education UNIFI elective credit under the category of Connect.
Participation in this program requires several class meetings during the fall semester, although the course is scheduled as a winter session course. The Study Abroad Center will enroll participants in the course. Please contact the program's course leader for more information on academic requirements.
- Winter session courses are billed tuition and fees.
- Students attending colleges and universities other than UNI are welcome to participate in this program. If you are not currently a UNI student, but would like to participate in this program, please contact the UNI Study Abroad Center prior to starting your program application.
Estimated Program Cost: $6,071*
*estimated total cost of participation, actual amount depends on type of housing accommodation selected, actual airfare purchase price, personal spending habits, and other factors
|Estimated Total Program Cost
|Estimated U-bill Charges
|Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs
Cost of Studying On Campus at UNI*
*per semester, estimated, will vary per person
|Tuition & Fees
|Room & Board
Eligibility Requirements to Study Abroad
The Study Abroad Center reserves the right to determine participants' eligibility to study abroad. Students must have a completed study abroad application, including supportive recommendation form(s). Additionally, students must meet all of the following in order to be eligible to study abroad:
- Have a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher at the time of application and maintain this cumulative GPA prior to departure and throughout the study abroad process
- If your cumulative GPA is lower than 2.5, submit the following to the Study Abroad Center (103 East Bartlett):
- Letters of reference from two academic contacts (e.g. academic advisor and former or current professor) supporting your pursuit of study abroad. If you are attending a faculty-led study abroad program, one of the letters must be from a course leader. However, if the program has two course leaders, only one of the letters can be from one of the course leaders.
- Must be over the age of 18 years old
- Must meet the course prerequisites (participation in the program is dependent upon meeting these)
- Must be in good standing with the university
- UNI's partner institutions may require additional eligibility requirements to be met, these vary from institution to institution. Please consult with the Study Abroad Center staff to discuss these additional requirements, if applicable.
- Applicants traveling to a region of a country or a country with an overall Travel Advisory Level 3 (Reconsider Travel) or 4 (Do Not Travel) will not be eligible.