Faculty & Staff: Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a topic below to find some of the commonly asked questions faculty and staff have pertaining to study abroad!

Program Proposal Process

Can I lead a study abroad program as an adjunct faculty?

No, you must be a fulltime/permanent UNI faculty or staff in order to lead a study abroad program.

How do I start a program proposal?

To start a program proposal, go to uni.edu/studyabroad -> Faculty and Staff -> Prospective Course Leaders Information. Or, click here. At the bottom of the page, click the “Submit Proposal Now” button.

I have led this program before. Do I have to submit a proposal again?

Yes. All UNI faculty-led programs are approved on an annual basis via the program proposal application.

What is the proposal process?

The proposal process consists of the prospective course leader completing all components of the online program proposal application hosted on uni.edu/studyabroad. Once these components are complete, the application’s questionnaires describing the proposed program are printed by the Faculty-led Programs Advisor and submitted to the Study Abroad Center (SAC) Director for logistical approval.

After logistical approval, the proposal is submitted to the applicant’s Department Chair and College Dean for academic approval. Programs offering capstone coursework will also be reviewed by the Liberal Arts Core Director.

Do I need to meet with the Faculty-led Programs Advisor before starting the program proposal application?

No. However, meeting with the Faculty-led Programs Advisor is highly recommended, especially for first time applicants. The Faculty-led Programs Advisor can offer advice and guidance for the proposal process, particularly in regard to program itinerary creation.

When I click the “Submit Proposal Now” button, I am asked about log-in credentials. How should I respond?

You will use your UNI username and password to log in.

I started a program proposal application, but I can’t select my program locations from the drop-down menu. What should I do?

Select the location nearest your intended location. For example, if you are staying in Oxford, England, but Oxford is not an option, you could select London.

How do I return to the proposal to continue working?

Go to uni.edu/studyabroad and select the “Login” button in the top right corner. Use your UNI username and password to log in.

Once logged in, you will be on your applicant home page. Select the name of your application (i.e. “Short-term Program Abroad Proposal”) under the application term (e.g. “summer 2020,” “winter break 2020,” etc.)

I don’t currently hold a valid passport. What should I do about the Submit Passport Information signature document?

The purpose of this document is for all applicants to understand that in order to lead a program abroad, the applicant needs to hold a valid passport and a scan of that passport needs to be on file with the SAC prior to leading a program abroad. If you hold a valid passport at the time of application, you can electronically sign this signature document. However, in order to expedite the proposal approval process, you can leave this document unsigned while you apply for a passport. Once you have your passport, return to the application and sign the document.

I have completed my proposal application. What do I do next?

Once your proposal is complete, click the "Submit" button at the top your application. The Faculty-led Programs Advisor will compile the completed program proposal questionnaires and provide them to the SAC Director for the first step of the approval process.

Current Course Leaders

Do I have to attend the in-person Course Leader Emergency Management Training?

Yes, every course leader must attend this in-person training every year they lead a study abroad program. Failure to attend the training will result in your future program proposals being rejected.

What are the SAC’s Housing Guidelines?

Below are the housing guidelines for course leaders:

  • Course leader must be housed in a room separate from any student program participant and cannot share a bed with any student under any circumstance;
  • Course leader must be housed in a room within the same hotel, hostel, dorm or apartment complex as the student participants. If this is not possible, then accommodations within close walking distance will be provided.

Below are the housing guidelines for students:

  • Housing will be booked with a variety of room configurations, which will allow male and female students to stay in separate rooms
  • Each student must have their own bed (no bed-sharing)
  • UNI program participants cannot share rooms with non-program participants
Can I bring a relative/friend on the program?

If a course leader is planning to bring an accompanying individual (limited to one immediate family member over the age of 18 or UNI employee) on the program with them, the SAC strongly encourages them to consider the intense nature of the short-term program and the amount of time they will need to spend with students.

That said, if any course leader is planning on taking an accompanying individual with them, it must be discussed with SAC staff by October 15 for subsequent summer programs and March 1 for subsequent winter break programs. 

In all cases, no program funding can be used to pay for the accompanying individual’s expenses. If they are to be included in program activities, transportation, and/or accommodations, payment for these must be made directly to the vendor whenever possible. A full description of the accompanying individual guidelines is provided via the program proposal application. 

A few students did not participate in a program activity. Can they receive funds for these activities?

Students who decide not to participate in pre-paid program activities will not receive any refunds. For more information, see the Refund and Withdrawal Guidelines.

Can non-UNI students participate in my program?

Yes, assuming they meet UNI Admission’s requirements and course prerequisites. Students from other universities wishing to participate in UNI faculty-led programs will apply to UNI and become non-degree seeking or transient students for the purposes of the program coursework. Please direct non-UNI students to contact the Faculty-led Programs Advisor for more information.

Course Leader Health and Safety

What is CISI?

The SAC enrolls all course leaders in the Iowa Regent’s Universities’ Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) plan. This is a comprehensive accident and sickness coverage as well as emergency services. This is at no cost to the course leader.

What is STEP?

The SAC enrolls all course leaders in the US Department of State’s Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Step.state.gov lists the following benefits of enrollment:

  • Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
Do I need a Travel Health Consultation?

The SAC encourages course leaders to receive a travel consultation prior to leading a program abroad as well as receive an exam upon return.