Family & Supporters
Congratulations! Your student is interested or has made the decision to study abroad. This will be an excellent opportunity for your child to grow personally, inter-culturally, academically and professionally. Your support and interest will help immensely to his/her success. The purpose of this area of our website is to help answer some of the questions that you might have, assist you in general preparations and give access to some helpful resources.
Throughout the study abroad process parents, guardians and families can play an important role in the health and safety of participants by helping them make decisions and by influencing their behavior overseas.
If you are a family member or friend of someone who is studying abroad, you can help by:
- Being informed about and involved in the decision of the participant to enroll in a particular program.
- Obtaining and carefully evaluate participant program materials, as well as related health, safety and security information.
- Discussing with the participant any of his/her travel plans and activities that may be independent of the study abroad program.
- Engaging the participant in a thorough discussion of safety and behavior issues, insurance needs and emergency procedures related to living abroad.
- Being responsive to requests from the program sponsor for information regarding the participant.
- Keeping in touch with the participant.
- Being aware that the participant themselves, rather than the program, may most appropriately provide some information.
Quoted from NAFSA: Association of International Educators Responsible Study Abroad: Good Practices for Health and Safety